[CFP] Prospects and Advances in the Syntax/Semantics Interface

Valia Kordoni kordoni at coli.uni-sb.de
Mon Jul 28 15:01:30 UTC 2003

Apologies for multiple copies!

        PROSPECTS AND ADVANCES IN THE SYNTAX/SEMANTICS INTERFACE

                   Lorraine-Saarland Workshop Series

                       Nancy, October 20-21 2003

             Deadline for abstracts, demos: August 31 2003

In the context of the Lorraine-Saarland Workshop Series, we are
organizing a workshop entitled "Prospects and advances in the
syntax/semantics interface".  The workshop series is a joint
initiative of LORIA (Nancy) and MPI (Saarbrücken).  The workshop
itself will take place in Nancy, October 20-21 2003.

       http://www.loria.fr/~duchier/Lorraine-Saarland/index.html

Both in Lorraine and in the Saarland, considerable interest and active
research efforts have started to gravitate around the syntax/semantics
interface. Our objective with this workshop is to bring together the
many researchers who are involved in these efforts, to report on
e.g. formal, computational, and empirical issues, to increase mutual
awareness and improve lines of communication, and to foster
collaboration on the integration of computational semantics into
grammar frameworks.  (while there is a certain regional bias in this
workshop, we welcome submissions from anywhere).

The idea is to construct the workshop program around presentations (on
the basis of reviewed papers), a panel discussion, and a session of
informal demos.  Authors are invited to submit 4-page extended
abstracts (for presentation), 1-page position papers for the panel,
and 3-page abstracts for demos.

IMPORTANT: Please inform us of your _intent_ to participate as early
as possible (by emailing to lorraine-saarland at ps.uni-sb.de)

PAPERS

We welcome submissions on all aspects of the syntax/semantics
interface, including formal, computational and empirical issues, as
well as on applications.  We are particularly keen on recent
developments, work in progress, and prospective projects, in other
words, all contributions which may serve to increase the mutual
awareness of on-going research and to encourage the formation of joint
research efforts.  Merely as a suggestion, we provide here a
non-exhaustive list of possible topics:

     formalisms:
       - grammatical and metagrammatical formalisms
       - constraint formalisms
     computational issues (processing, algorithms, constraints):
       - processing tree descriptions
     computational semantics
       - application of the syntax/semantics interface in the service
         of computational semantics
     corpus-based and empirical research:
       - semantics annotations
       - learning
       - preferences
       - statistical methods, robustness

PANEL DISCUSSION

Our theme is: "description, processing and integration of multiple
sources of information in the modeling and computational analysis of
natural language". We are especially interested in the integrative
aspect of this enterprise which not only touches on all aspects of
computational linguistics, but also reaches across the border into
other areas such as ontologies and the semantic web.

IMPORTANT DATES

- Deadline for submissions: August 31, 2003
- Notification of acceptance: September 19, 2003
- Workshop: October 20-21, 2003

LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS

There will be no registration fee, and we will provide proceedings,
lunch, and coffee breaks.  However, due to the strong local character
of the workshop, everyone should make their own arrangements for
accommodations (although, if you need help, please email to
lorraine-saarland at ps.uni-sb.de).  We will also organize a dinner at a
restaurant on the evening of Day 1 for those interested.

PROGRAM

Day 1
10:00 Start/Paper session (5 papers)
12:30 Lunch
14:30 Panel discussion
16:00 Tea/coffee break
16:30 Paper session (2 papers)
17:30 End/Dinner

Day 2
09:30 Start/Paper session (3 papers)
11:00 Tea/Coffee break
11:30 Paper session (2 papers)
12:30 Lunch
14:30 Demos
16:30 Final wrap-up of workshop
17:00 End

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Carlos Areces          (LORIA, Nancy)
Patrick Blackburn      (LORIA, Nancy)
Paul Buitelaar          (DFKI, Saarbrücken)
Denys Duchier          (LORIA, Nancy; Chair)
Philippe de Groote     (LORIA, Nancy)
Valia Kordoni           (COLI, Saarbrücken)
Geert-Jan Kruijff       (COLI, Saarbrücken; Chair)
Guy Perrier            (LORIA, Nancy)
Manfred Pinkal          (COLI, Saarbrücken)
Hans Uszkoreit     (COLI/DFKI, Saarbrücken)

--
Denys Duchier - Équipe Calligramme - LORIA, Nancy, France

-
Please send submissions to dg at ps.uni-sb.de
and administriva mail to dg-request at ps.uni-sb.de