Fillers and gaps

Adam Przepiorkowski adamp at ipipan.waw.pl
Sun Jun 8 15:01:25 UTC 2003

Bob,

> Does anyone know of any HPSG work dealing with situations where a filler
> and the associated gap do not have exactly the same LOCAL feature
> structure, e.g. because the filler is pronominal while the gap is not or
> vice-versa?

Bouma, Malouf and Sag mention in the NLLT paper non-connectivity
examples like "That he was sick, we didn't talk about" (this one is
from Bresnan's book) and suggest that their theory is well-suited for
analysing them but, if I remember well, don't provide a worked-out
analysis.

Also, Svetlana Godjevac, when she was a student at OSU, had an HPSG
(term?) paper on case non-connectivity in Serbo-Croatian, but I don't
know whether that paper has been published or is otherwise available.

Not extremely helpful, I know...

Best,

        Adam P.