Pinker and Jackendoff

Shalom Lappin lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 17 17:40:55 UTC 2004

Hi Steve,
   Clearly we do not disagree on the radical nature of the change
in the design of UG that the MP proposes. My coauthors and I have argued
that the MP constitutes a paradigm change relative to GB, against
the view of some minimalists who insist that it a natural extention
of the P&P model. However, Chomsky's resistance to the idea that
natural selection played a role in determining the basic properties
of the core language faculty remains constant from earlier work through
to the Fitch, Chomsky, and Hauser piece. Regards.
                     Shalom