Implementing noun incorporation

Mike Maxwell maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu
Thu Dec 23 13:02:10 UTC 2004

Emily M. Bender wrote:
> Do you know of any grammar implementation efforts
> that have taken on languages with noun incorporation
> (or other open-class stem incorporation)?

In a project with Jonathan Amith, I'm building a morphological
transducer for several dialects of Nahuatl, which has a certain amount
of noun incorporation (not as productive as Mohawk apparently is, at
least in these dialects).  We haven't actually implemented incorporation
yet, so I can't say I _have_ done it.  Also, we don't deal with syntax,
so I don't have to worry about how incorporation affects the
complement-taking properties of the verb, which I imagine is what you're
interested in.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium