head feature principle and multiverb construction

soma paul soma_hpsg at yahoo.co.in
Thu Feb 5 06:38:25 UTC 2004

Yes, I consider the V1 to be the head participant because of the follwoing two observations:

1.  THe semantics of the resultant CV sequence is a modification of extension of that of its V1 counterpart
2.  The argument strucutre of the CV sequence is a copy of that of its V1 counterpart except for a few  cases

Argument composition compostiion mechanism considers V2 to be the head daughter of a complex predicate and it inherits the V1 and its arguments in its argument strucutre.

However, the above observation (1 and 2) has led my analysis to take V1 as the head participant.  However the V2 bears agreement morpholgoy for the CV construction on the surface spell out.  I propose that the categorial and semantic information contributed by V2 is guranteed through the feature strucutre of the V1.  For that purpose I introduce the follwoing modification in the syntactic description of the V1 lexeme type:

1. A feature VECTOR is introduced within SYN of the verb lexeme type.
2. The HEAD is attributed two features CR and HD.

When a verb lexeme is realized on the surface as a simple verb form (one word expression), the CR and HD will be token idnetical.

Otherwise, the categorial informaion of the verb type particpating in compounding is built in the following manner:

I postulate a word strucutre type, call it compound verb, whose lex-daughter will be the conjunctive participial form of V1 (this form paricipates in CV compounding formation).

The feature strucutre of compound verb inherits the categorial information partly from its lex daughter and ppartly from the VECTOR value of the lex daughter as shown below:

[ compound verb

SYN   [ HEAD  [ CR  [1]
                         HD  [2] ]

LX-DTR  [ SYN [ HEAD [ CR [1] ]
               VECTOR < V2 & [ SYN [ HEAD [ HD    [2]  ] ] ] > ] ]

The compound verb will be the head daughter within a phrasal schema whcih requires the saturation of VECTOR value of a V1.  Note that the compound verb is a word type. and its formalizationd does not violate the head feature principle either.

soma

Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and more.Download now.