Trees, pheno, tectogrammar

Shalom Lappin lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Thu Jul 1 10:34:05 UTC 2004

Hi Tibor, Carl, and Ivan,
     In fact the other approach to Categorial Grammar, Combinatorial
Categorial Grammar, does seek to represent the contribution  of phrasal
order and prosody to semantic interpretation. Steedman  ((1996) and
(2000))  develops detailed CCG treatments of discontinuous constituents
and various types of extraposition which sustain the mapping from
syntactic categories to lambda-terms in the semantic representation
language. CCG derivations are, of course, not proofs in a sequent
calculus. They depend upon a set of cominbatorial operations in addition
to functional application. However, they are reductions to normal forms
within the lambda  calculus. Regards.
                                                             Shalom