AW: Trees, pheno, tectogrammar

S. Yatabe yatabe at boz.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Jul 1 20:33:56 UTC 2004

Tibor,

You write:

>So, to paraphrase your reaction: my observation is damaging for Dowty's
>initial proposal, for Kathol's thesis, for Kathol/Kasper/Pollard on
>extraposition, right?

I propose, in my 2001 paper "The syntax and semantics of left-node
raising in Japanese", an architecture in which semantic
interpretation is carried out (in large part) on the basis of
phenogrammatical structures, i.e. order domains.  The paper is
available at http://gamp.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~yatabe/left.html
as well as at http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/HPSG/1/hpsg00-toc.html

If you adopt this proposal, your observations no longer pose a problem
for the theories that you mention.  Furthermore, the result of such a
modification is a theory that is arguably better than any previous
theories within Combinatoria Categorial Grammar and other frameworks,
as I attempt to show in some other papers such as the one available at
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/HPSG/3/hpsg02-toc.htm

Shuichi