attractions and distractions

Borsley R D rborsley at essex.ac.uk
Fri Jun 25 21:25:10 UTC 2004

I really don't understand this. Most of us do think minimalism is wrong in
lots of ways and it would be very odd to keep this a secret. Equally it
would be odd to offer an HPSG analysis and to say that one is not
suggesting that it is any better than any other analysis. This is not a
matter of saying anyone is an idiot. And to argue that someone is wrong
about something is not to insult them. When Chomsky argues that he was
wrong in the 80's to assume that government is a necessary notion he is
not insulting his former self. Equally when Sag and Levine argue that
movement approaches to unbounded dependencies are unsatisfactory they are
not insulting anybody. One might argue, however, that it is insulting to
systematically ignore work outside one's favoured framework in the way
that many minimalists do.

Bob

--
Prof. Robert D. Borsley