Reply to carnie from LLJ

Shalom Lappin lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Sun Jun 27 20:55:03 UTC 2004

I appreciate David Pesetsky's interesting comments. They greatly improve the
atmosphere of the discussion. I will limit myself to two points in reply.
My co-authors may want to respond individually.

In J&L (1999) we did, in fact, discuss some of the proposals
in Chomsky (1998), "Minimalist Inquiries". Specifically, on p. 64 we
take up Chomsky's suggestion that numerations can be specified for the
derivation of embedded phrases and then extended to larger numerations
to yield the matrix clauses that contain these phrases. We argued that, if we
understood this proposal correctly, it renders vacuous the notion of a
numeration as a bounded selection of lexical items. This seems to undermine
the role of a numeration as a well defined initial state in a derivation.

David says that the MP is a loose program rather than a clearly defined
theory or theoretical framework. Therefore our criticisms apply only to
the version of the MP (basically Chapter 4 of Chomsky (1995)) that we
discuss in the book. It may well be the case that many of the technical
issues that we raise in the book are no longer relevant to current
formulations of the MP. However, our main concern was (and remains) with
the foundational assumptions of this program. In particular, we argued
that Chomsky's view of language as a "perfect computational system" is
seriously misguided and has no place in the theory of grammar. We observed
that economy conditions, global or local, are directly inspired by this view
of grammar as an "efficient" system for mapping lexical numerations into
interface representations. We attempted to show that both sorts
of economy condition generate insuperable computational and formal
difficulties. Moreover there is no independent empirical motivation
for such conditions and considerable evidence against them. The only reason
for adopting them appears to be Chomsky's intuition that grammar is "perfect".
We devoted considerable effort to trying to understand this intuition, and
to showing that on any of the credible interpretations that we were able
to assign it, the intuition has no role in linguistic theory. It continues
to strike us as remarkable that this intuition has enjoyed such widespread
acceptance without being subjected to critical examination and clarification.
These concerns also animated our contributions to the NLLT debate. From what
I can see these criticisms continue to apply to the MP as it is pursued today.
I have yet to see a convincing answer. Regards.
                     Shalom Lappin