Unaccusativity

Stephen Nightingale j_s_nightingale at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 29 21:48:25 UTC 2004

Chaps,

I thought that an adequate treatment of aktionsart in
lexical semantics would have swept away the
over-dependence on syntax for describing
'unaccusativity' and 'unergativity', since so many
verbs, and verbal conjunctions in, for example,
Japanese and English are susceptible to such a
treatment.

In fact I wrote a thesis on just that topic, and
developed a lexical semantic framework, based, as it
turns out, on Dowty and Proto-Roles (since
Pustejovsky's account of aspect was problematic in
English, and even more so for Japanese).

'Polysemy and Homonymy in Japanese Verbal
Alternations', J S Nightingale, Edinburgh, 2000.
Can be found at:
www.slt.atr.co.jp/~night/pubs/thesis.ps

Sn.