FG-MOL 2005: Call for Papers

Shuly Wintner shuly at cs.haifa.ac.il
Wed Jan 5 15:24:07 UTC 2005

** Our apologies for multiple copies! ***

FG-MOL 2005: http://www.formalgrammar.tk

The 10th conference on Formal Grammar
  and
The 9th Meeting on Mathematics of Language

Collocated with the
  European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information, http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/esslli05/
  Edinburgh, Scotland, 5-7 August 2005

Sponsored by
  The Association for the Mathematics of Language (ACL SigMoL)
  Institute for Communicating and Collaborative Systems/Human Communication Research Centre , University of Edinburgh
  The Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL)
  Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada

Call for Papers

Background

FG-MOL 2005 is the 10th conference on Formal Grammar and the 9th Meeting on the Mathematics of Language, to be held in conjunction with the European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information, which takes place in 2005 in Edinburgh.

Previous Formal Grammar meetings were held in Barcelona (1995), Prague (1996), Aix-en-Provence (1997), Saarbruecken (1998), Utrecht (1999), Helsinki (2001), Trento (2002), Vienna (2003) and Nancy (2004).

MoL meetings are organized biennially by the Association for Mathematics of Language, which is a Special Interest Group of the Association for Computational Linguistics. This is the second time the two events are held in tandem, following the success of FG-MOL 2001.

Aims and Scope

FG-MOL provides a forum for the presentation of new and original research on formal grammar, mathematical linguistics and the application of formal and mathematical methods to the study of natural language.
Themes of interest include, but are not limited to,

    * formal and computational phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics and pragmatics;
    * model-theoretic and proof-theoretic methods in linguistics;
    * logical aspects of linguistic structure;
    * constraint-based and resource-sensitive approaches to grammar;
    * learnability of formal grammar;
    * integration of stochastic and symbolic models of grammar;
    * foundational, methodological and architectural issues in grammar;
    * mathematical foundations of statistical approaches to linguistic analysis.

Previous conferences in this series have welcomed papers from a wide variety of frameworks.

Invited Speakers
TBA

NOTE: Notification of Intent to Submit/Attend

Due to the difficulty of reserving housing in Edinburgh in August, we will need to make a firm commitment for the number of rooms by early February. Consequently, we are asking those who intend to submit papers to the conference to submit a preliminary abstract by January 31st, with the full paper being due by April 1st. We will also need requests for housing from those who will be attending but not presenting a paper by the January 31st.

Submission Details

We invite electronic submissions of original, unpublished 30-minute papers (including questions, comments, and discussion). Because of the housing restrictions, submission involves three steps.

1.  Notification of Intent to Submit
Preliminary abstracts, of no more than 1000 words, must be submitted via web-from at http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shuly/fg05/intent.html no later than January 31, 2005. Preliminary abstracts are not anonymous, but will not be seen by anyone who will be involved in making acceptance decisions on any individual papers.

2.  Request for Housing
Those intending to stay in conference housing, including those intending to submit a paper, must submit a request via the same web-form at http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~shuly/fg05/intent.html no later than January 31, 2005. We will be reserving a block of rooms in Edinburgh student accommodations on Arthur's Seat for the nights of 4--7/August with estimated cost of about GBP 40 per night (singles only). We can only guarantee accommodations for those who have requested them by this date. Requests from those submitting papers may be (but do not have to be) contingent on acceptance of their paper. Requests other than those for authors of submitted papers are binding and must be accompanied by a 30% deposit.

3.  Paper submission
Papers must be submitted using a dedicated web-based form by April 1, 2005. Papers should be anonymous and refrain from self-reference. They should be no longer than 8 pages. Submissions should be prepared in plain text (ASCII) or PDF. Preparation of the manuscript in LaTeX is highly recommended. Revised versions will be required to be in LaTeX, but assistance in translating to LaTeX form will be available.

Proceedings

Accepted abstracts will be included in the conference proceedings, to be distributed at the conference. Full, revised versions will be published after the conference as CSLI Publications Online Proceedings.

Depending on the quality of the papers, we will consider publishing a selected number of them in a special issue of Research on Language and Computation.

Social Program

A conference dinner is planned for Saturday, August 6th. More details will be published in due course.

Registration and accommodation

On-line registration forms for the conference and for conference housing will available no later than March 1st. Registration will include membership in ACL ($60/$30 students) for those who are not current members. There will be a discount for early registration (by May 31st).

Important Dates

    * January 31st, 2005: Deadline for housing requests
    * January 31st, 2005: Deadline for preliminary abstracts
    * April 1st, 2005: Deadline for paper submission
    * May 13th, 2005: Notification of acceptance
    * May 31st, 2005: Early registration ends
    * July 1st, 2005: Full version due
    * August 5-7, 2005: Conference dates

Program Committee

    * Anne Abeille (Paris 7) abeille at linguist.jussieu.fr
    * Tilman Becker (DFKI) becker at dfki.de
    * Pierre Boullier (INRIA) Pierre.Boullier at inria.fr
    * Gosse Bouma (Groningen) gosse at let.rug.nl
    * Chris Brew (Ohio State University) cbrew at acm.org
    * Wojciech Buszkowski (Poznan) buszko at amu.edu.pl
    * Miriam Butt (Universitaet Konstanz) miriam.butt at uni-konstanz.de
    * Tim Fernando (Trinity College, Dublin) Tim.Fernando at cs.tcd.ie
    * Christophe Fouquere (Paris 13) christophe.fouquere at lipn.univ-paris13.fr
    * Nissim Francez (Haifa) francez at cs.technion.ac.il
    * Philippe de Groote (LORIA, Nancy) Philippe.de.Groote at loria.fr
    * Aravind Joshi (UPenn) joshi at linc.cis.upenn.edu
    * Makoto Kanazawa (National Institute of Informatics, Tokyo) kanazawa at nii.ac.jp
    * Ruth Kempson (London) kempson at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
    * Andras Kornai (Metacarta) andras at kornai.com
    * Uli Krieger (DFKI) krieger at dfki.de
    * Geert-Jan Kruijff (DFKI) gj at dfki.de
    * Jonas Kuhn (University of Texas at Austin) jonask at mail.utexas.edu
    * Shalom Lappin (King's College, London) lappin at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
    * Carlos Martin-Vide (Tarragona) carlos.martin at urv.net
    * Jens Michaelis (Universitaet Potsdam) michael at ling.uni-potsdam.de
    * Guido Minnen (DaimlerChrysler AG) guido.minnen at daimlerchrysler.com
    * Mehryar Mohri (AT&T) mohri at cs.nyu.edu
    * Uwe Moennich (Universitaet Tuebingen) uwe.moennich at uni-tuebingen.de
    * Michael Moortgat (Utrecht) michael.moortgat at let.uu.nl
    * Drew Moshier (Chapman) moshier at chapman.edu
    * Larry Moss (Indiana) lsm at cs.indiana.edu
    * Stefan Mueller (Universitaet Bremen) Stefan.Mueller at cl.uni-bremen.de
    * Mark-Jan Nederhof (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen) markjan at let.rug.nl
    * Richard Oehrle (Berkeley, CA) oehrle at linc.cis.upenn.edu
    * Owen Rambow (Columbia) rambow at cs.columbia.edu
    * Christian Retore (INRIA & LaBRI, Bordeaux) retore at labri.fr
    * Robert van Rooij (Amsterdam) R.A.M.VanRooij at uva.nl
    * Giorgio Satta (University of Padua) satta at dei.unipd.it
    * Ed Stabler (UCLA) stabler at ucla.edu
    * Mark Steedman (Edinburgh) steedman at informatics.ed.ac.uk
    * Hans Joerg Tiede (Illinois Wesleyan) htiede at iwu.edu

Organizing committee

    * Gerhard Jaeger, University of Bielefeld
    * Paola Monachesi, OTS Utrecht
    * Gerald Penn, University of Toronto
    * James Rogers, Earlham College
    * Shuly Wintner, University of Haifa

Acknowledgments

We are grateful to the Association for Computational Linguistics and the Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada for financially supporting the conference. We are extremely grateful to ICCS/HCRC at University of Edinburgh for making this conference possible through local organization.

FG-MOL 2005, http://www.formalgrammar.tk