Syntactic Phenomena

Tibor Kiss tibor at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Oct 24 05:09:47 UTC 2005

Hi,

I had recently asked for a list of prominent syntactic phenomena, and here
come the top candidates:

Word order – its grammar and interpretation Agreement and agreement marking
Diathesis, Relation Change Pronominal Anaphora The Grammar of Verbs (incl.
Auxiliary verbs, main verbs, serial verbs, light verbs, Particle verbs,
Control and Raising) Coordination Unbounded Dependencies
V2 and other second position phenomena
Negation
The Argument-Adjunct-Distinction
Case assignment

Mentioned less, but more than once:

Comparatives, parenthetical constructions, ellipsis, clitics

I would like to thank the following contributors: Doug Arnold, Mary
Dalrymple, Anna Feldman, Georgia Green, Anke Holler, Tom Hukari, Ruth
Kempson, Jong-Bok Kim, François Mouret, Stefan Müller, and Ivan Sag (and
hopefully I haven't forgotten anybody!)

Some of you might be puzzled about the list (just as I was), but I didn't
ask for fine-grained phenomena, and it is thus perhaps not a surprise that
the winner (as well as many of the other top candidates) is kind of a cover
term for all kinds of phenomena.

If you would like to add comments to this list or have questions, please
send them directly to me.

Best

Tibor