What do you consider a worthwhile phenomenon?

Tibor Kiss afelpado at compuserve.de
Wed Sep 14 17:23:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

as some of you might be aware of, Walter de Gruyter (a division of Mouton de
Gruyter) has published a series of handbooks on linguistics and some
neighboring fields since 1989 (also known by their abbreviation HSK). Among
these handbooks, we find the Handbook Syntax (HSK 9), published in 1993.

The publisher is now planning new editions for their handbooks, and Artemis
Alexiadou and myself are in charge for the 2nd edition of the Handbook
Syntax. We have changed the format and content of the 2nd edition of the
handbook in several respects. The most important change is that we are
planning to include a set of syntactic phenomena. For each phenomenon, a
descriptive presentation and at least one theoretical analysis should be
included in the handbook. (A currently less important aspect is that all
articles in the new edition will be written in English.)

We are now trying to determine the phenomena which should be included in the
handbook by polling linguists among the world what they consider the 10
topmost phenomena. So, my question is, which phenomena do you wish to find
covered in a handbook on syntax?

As you can see, we do not even make prescriptions concerning the granularity
of what is to be considered a pertinent phenomenon.

I would appreciate the participation of the members of this list in the
poll. Just send me a list of your 10 candidates. And, PLEASE, do send it
only to my email addresses (afelpado at compuserve.de,
tibor at linguistics.rub.de) and not to the list.

I will promise to inform the list about the outcome.

Thank you very much in advance,

Tibor