Extended Deadline: Texas Linguistics Society 10

Elias Ponvert ponvert at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 23:01:54 UTC 2006

HPSG Community,

We would like to bring the following conference and deadline extension to
your attention. Apologies for the multiple postings.

Elias Ponvert

Extended deadline: 15 August 2006
TLSX: Texas Linguistics Society 10

Computational Linguistics for Less-Studied Languages

November 3–5, 2006
University of Texas at Austin

Description

The past decade has seen great developments at  the intersection of
computational linguistics and language documentation, particularly in the
focus areas of  speech and video recording and transcription, best practices
for data collection and archiving, and ontology  development. TLSX aims to
highlight the application of techniques from computational linguistics  to
the management and analysis of language data as well as to less-studied
languages or less-studied varieties  of well-studied languages.

The goal of TLSX is to further the state of  computational linguistics for
less-studied languages by bringing together researchers working at this
frontier and  providing a forum for the presentation of original research.
We anticipate work both from documentary  and descriptive linguists
interested in improving technologies for linguistic analysis and from
computational  linguists interested in theoretical issues such as the
application of data-driven natural language  processing (NLP)  techniques to
languages for which there exists relatively little digitally-available
data.

To that end, we invite submissions in the areas  of computational analysis
and management of linguistic data from less-studied languages. We also
welcome submissions  relating to the development of computational tools to
facilitate such analysis. Possible topics  include (but are not limited to):

- machine learning in scarce data situations
- multilingual grammar and lexicon development
- cross-linguistic applicability of NLP methods
- active learning
- transfer learning
- bootstrapping semi-automated annotation
- challenges posed by particular languages, or phenomena to current NLP
methods

Invited Speakers

- Jason Baldridge, University of Texas at Austin
- Emily Bender, University of Washington
- Steven Bird, University of Melbourne
- Katrin Erk, University of Texas at Austin
- Mark Liberman, University of Pennsylvania
- Raymond Mooney, University of Texas at Austin

Submissions

Submitted papers must be no longer than 10 pages and are expected to follow
the  CSLI format for Collected Volumes:
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/authors.html

LaTeX2e package
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/cslipubscollection.tar.gz

MS Word template and style guide
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/site/style_edited_vol_part2.doc

Submissions due: August 15, 2006 (Extended)
Notification: September 1, 2006

Meeting URL:  http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~tls/2006tls
E-mail contact:  tls at uts.cc.utexas.edu

Organizing Committee

Stephen Hilderbrand, Heeyoung Lyu, Alexis Palmer,  Elias Ponvert (all of  UT
Austin)