CFP: Workshop on Case at the LSA - revised dates

Ivan A. Sag sag at csli.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 14 19:43:16 UTC 2007

All, FYI. -Ivan

------- Forwarded Message

[apologies for multiple postings]

**Please note revised dates for the workshop and deadlines***

In recent years, new and varied approaches to the empirical study of
morphological case have significantly increased our understanding of
this empirical phenomenon. These approaches have informed more
refined theoretical models which necessarily address interface
questions, especially the interface of morphological case with
semantics. Such studies may rely on corpora, experimental evidence,
and the investigation of (synchronic and diachronic) variation and
how it bears on synchronic analyses.

The aim of this workshop is to establish greater awareness of the
benefit of different empirical approaches to the study of case, the
insights that such studies provide, and how they inform theoretical
models. Possible research questions may include, but need not be
limited to, the following:

-- expanding our understanding of case phenomena through novel
empirical methods
-- investigating how morphological case interfaces with other aspects
of the grammar
-- hypothesizing on how this interface should be modelled theoretically

Invited presentations will be given by:
Andrew Spencer (Essex)
Miriam Butt (Konstanz)
Joan Maling (Brandeis) and Jong Sup Jun (Hankuk)

Abstract Guidelines:
We are soliciting abstracts for 25 minute talks. Abstracts should be
in 11pt font, or larger, consisting of one text page with a second
page (only) for data, examples, charts, and references. Abstracts
should be submitted electronically in Word (.doc) or Adobe Acrobat
(.pdf) format to: case07 at gmail.com. The author(s) of the abstract
should not be identified in the abstract itself; the body of the
submission message should include the title of the abstract, the name
(s) of the author(s), the(ir) affiliation, and e-mail address(es).

*Deadline* for submission: March 18th, 2007. The conference program
will be announced as early as possible in early April.

Outlines:
As there will be special sessions for discussion of the papers, we
will ask that you provide us with an outline of your paper in advance
of the workshop, no later than July 7th.

Important dates:
March 18 - Abstracts due (send to: case07 at gmail.com)
April 1 - Notification of acceptance
July 7 - Outline of papers due (send to: case07 at gmail.com)
July 25 - Workshop

Publication:
We plan to collect as many papers from the workshop as possible for
publication with a major publisher on the theme of new empirical
approaches to morphological case.