LREC 2008: Cocosda/WRITE Workshop

ELDA info at elda.org
Mon Apr 7 15:42:02 UTC 2008

[Apologies for multiple postings]

*_Coscoda/Write Workshop:_ Towards common priorities and recommendations
for the future of Language and Speech  Resources*
*Sunday, June 1st - 9am TO 4pm* - Registration is *free*, but *mandatory*.
Organisers: Dafydd Gibbon, Khalid Choukri, Nicoletta Calzolari and
Steven Krauwer

The Cocosda/WRITE workshop will consist of three main components.

Following the Cocosda tradition the first session will consist of six
brief presentations of recent developments in a number of key areas and
brief regional reports. These presentations will be
followed by a general discussion where we try to arrive at an analysis
of where we stand in relation to speech and related
multimodal/multimedia resources and where we are heading.

The second session follows the WRITE tradition and is more
forward-looking. We will first give a brief presentation of the new EC
FLaReNet project and its international extension, which can be seen as a
follow-up of the language and speech technology roadmap actions
initiated by Enabler and ELSNET that led to the creation of WRITE. The
objective of FLaReNet is to formulate recommendations for a long term
European strategy and policy for language resources (in a very broad
sense). During this session there will be brief  presentations by
various speakers (from all over the world), that we will invite to give
their views on the main issues that will be addressed by FLaReNet:

    * The Chart for the area of LRs in its different dimensions
    * Methods and models for LR building, reuse, interlinking and
      maintenance
    * Methods for the automatic construction and processing of LRs
    * Harmonisation of formats and standards
    * Definition of evaluation protocols and evaluation procedures

The brief presentations will be followed by general discussion.

In the last session we will summarise the key trends and identify some
agreed-upon priorities for the future.

We invite you to join this Workshop, that will be an occasion for a
common reflection on the main topics of relevance in the area of
Language and other related Resources, intended in a broad sense, and to
contribute to joint recommendations to funding agencies and towards
policy development in this area.

More details on this workshop will be posted on the LREC 2008 web site
(http://www.lrec-conf.org/lrec2008/IMG/ws/CocosdaWrite.pdf) as soon as
available.