attributive and predicative adjectives

Stephen Wechsler wechsler at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 13 21:33:51 UTC 2009

Dear Colleagues,

I would be grateful for references to any HPSG or LFG work (or in other
frameworks, for that matter) on the topic of relating attributive adjectives
(the red house) to predicate adjectives (The house is red.).

I'm interested in how this should be captured in a lexicalist grammar, e.g.
a lexical rule deriving one from the other (in which case, which one is
basic?), or lexical inheritance, templates, etc.   Also, that account should
allow for the simple fact that in languages with adjective agreement, the
agreement features that apply to the modifiee of the attributive, normally
apply to the subject of the predicative.  E.g. if 'house' is feminine then
'red' would take feminine form whether attributive (the red house) or
predicate (The house is red.)

Thanks in advance.

--Steve