Portability

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at fu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 21 14:16:39 UTC 2010

Hi Mike, hi Emily,

There is also a live CD for TRALE:

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/Software/Grammix/

And thinking about it, this also solves the problem of the availability
of the software/grammars in 30 years. The only thing one needs in 2040
is a piece of software that emulates the Intel processors we have today.
Since the live CDs contain a complete operating system together with the
software and grammars, this is sufficient.

Given that we can play Monkey Island today even though we do not have a
C64 with datasette, it seems likely that emulators for the X86
processors will be around in 2040. One would not need CD rom drives,
just the ISO file is enough. If it is ensured that the files survive
somehow, the problem is solved.

Of course the more general question is whether the human mankind and the
beaches still exist in 2040 ...

Best wishes

        Stefan

--
Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Babel/Interaktiv/