syntax textbook for undergrads

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Fri May 14 14:06:54 UTC 2010

Hi,

I think you are looking for:

Sag, Ivan A., Thomas Wasow, and Emily M. Bender. 2003. Syntactic Theory -
A formal introduction. 2nd Edition. Stanford: CSLI

While closest to HPSG, it is towards generalizations of constraint-based
approaches. The first half of the book is very suitable for introduction
to syntax, linguistic concepts, and semi-formal representations. At the
end, the book has a section that is an excellent overview of the
enterprise of syntactic theories.

My teaching experience is that students comprehend very comfortably the
introductory and the more advanced chapters.

In addition, for the more math-logic oriented students, the book has
chapters on a new direction of formal models (i.e., mathematics) of syntax
(I have an overview to appear at some point).

Roussanka