LREC 2012 Workshop: 2nd CfP Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative

ELRA ELDA Information info at elda.org
Mon Dec 19 16:43:47 UTC 2011

[Apologies for multiple postings]

2012 Workshop on Computational Models of Narrative
May 26-27, 2012
Lütfi Kirdar Istanbul Exhibition and Congress Centre Istanbul, Turkey to
be co-located with the LREC'2012, the Language Resources and Evaluation
Conference
Second CALL FOR PAPERS

Paper submission deadline: February 24, 2012

*Workshop Aims*
Narratives are ubiquitous in human experience. We use them to
communicate, convince, explain, and entertain. As far as we know, every
society in the world has narratives, which suggests they are rooted in
our psychology and serve an important cognitive function. It is becoming
increasingly clear that, to truly understand and explain human
intelligence, beliefs, and behaviors, we will have to understand why
narrative is universal and explain (or explain away) the function it
serves. The aim of this workshop (and its predecessors) is to address
key, fundamental questions about narrative that advance our fundamental
understanding of narrative and our ability model it computationally.
*Special Focus: Shared Resources*
In addition to fundamental questions, the field has yet to address key
needs with regard to shared resources and corpora that could smooth and
hasten the way forward. The vast majority of work on narrative uses
fewer than four stories to perform their experiments, and rarely re-use
narratives from previous studies. Because NLP technology cannot yet take
us all the way to the
highly-accurate formal representations of language semantics, this
implies significant amounts of repeated work in annotation. The way
forward could be catalyzed by a carefully constructed set of shared
resources. This meeting will be an appropriate venue for papers
addressing fundamental topics and questions regarding narrative.
Moreover, the meeting will have a special focus on the identification,
collection, and construction of shared resources and corpora that
facilitate the computational modeling of narrative. Papers should focus
on issues fundamental to computational modeling and scientific
understanding, or issues related to building shared resources to advance
the field. Discussing technological applications or motivations is not
discouraged, but is not required.

*Illustrative Topics and Questions*

  * What kinds of shared resources are required for the computational
    study of narrative?
  * What content and modalities should be put in a "Story Bank"? What
    formal representations should be used?
  * What shared resources are available, or how can already-extant
    resources be adapted to common needs?
  * What makes narrative different from a list of events or facts? What
    is special that makes something a narrative?
  * What are the details of the relationship between narrative and
    common sense?
  * How are narratives indexed and retrieved? Is there a "universal"
    scheme for encoding episodes?
  * What impact do the purpose, function, and genre of a narrative have
    on its form and content?
  * What comprises the set of possible narrative arcs? Is there such a
    set? How many possible story lines are there?
  * Are there systematic differences in the formal properties of
    narratives from different cultures?
  * What are appropriate representations for narrative? What
    representations underlie the extraction of narrative schemas?
  * How should we evaluate computational models of narrative?

*
Organizing Committee*
Mark A. Finlayson, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
Pablo Gervás, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
Deniz Yuret, Koc University, Turkey
Floris Bex, University of Dundee, Scotland

*Sponsors*
There will be a number of travel grants available to workshop authors
via our sponsors:

  * ONR Global
  * Office of Naval Research
  * Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency

*Contact*
narrative-ws12 at csail.mit.edu
http://narrative.csail.mit.edu/ws12

Note: Workshop dates have changed slightly since the first call