Call for Participation: Workshop "The Portuguese Language in the Digital Age" (Nov 15, Lisbon)

António Branco Antonio.Branco at di.fc.ul.pt
Tue Oct 30 10:36:45 UTC 2012

WORKSHOP

The Portuguese Language in the Digital Age

November 15, 2012
Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian, Room 2
Lisbon

FULL INFORMATION

For details on the Program, Speakers, Venue, Regsitration, etc.,
see here:
http://metanet4u.weebly.com/workshop-in-portugal.html

REGISTRATION

Participation in the workshop is open to everyone interested and gratis.
Since attendance is limited to the number of seats available, your
participation has to be secured by registering here:
http://workshopportugueselanguagedigitalage.eventbrite.com

OBJECTIVE

With new and increasingly more powerful technologies, we are
communicating with more people, more often and more easily. Critically,
these new technologies are not only providing extended carriers
for the exchange of linguistic information: they are inducing
a deep technological shock in the way languages can be used.

In sharp rupture with the past, we will be using new technological
solutions to communicate instantly in our mother language with
people speaking a different language, and accessing information
encoded in other languages that we do not speak. And we will be
using natural language to interact with all sorts of artificial
devices and services in the rapidly unfolding information society.

What are the new conditions of usage for natural languages?  Which
ones are being technologically equipped to face the digital shock
and which ones are not?  How will they thrive and which will lose
relevance, or eventually get extinct, in the globalized world?

And in particular: What are the specific challenges for the Portuguese
language? What strategic responses can be devised?

Seeking views, answers and strategies that help to answer these questions
is the central goal of this workshop.

ORGANIZATION

This is an event in the International Series of Workshops on
"New Technologies and the Future of Languages"
http://metanet4u.weebly.com/

It is organized by the European project METANET4U:
http://metanet4u.eu

This is a project in the European Network of Excellence META-NET:
http://www.meta-net.eu

PROGRAM

8h30    Registration opens

9h00    Welcome address

9h10 - 10h20    Session P1 - Presentations

9h10
Strategies of Camões, IP for the Promotion of the Portuguese Language in
the Internet
Rui Vaz
Camões, IP (former Instituto Camões)

9h35
Multilateral Linguistic Policies for Portuguese and for Multilingualism
in the Cyberspace
Gilvan Müller Oliveira
Instituto Internacional da Língua Portuguesa (IILP/CPLP)

10h00
Languages and Technologies within the European Digital Agenda - A broad
overview
Roberto Cencioni
European Commission

10h25 - 10h50     Session D1 - Debates
Standup multilateral debates start (fueled by coffee and cookies)

10h50 - 11h40    Session P2 - Presentations

10h50
The Portuguese Varieties at the Transition to Digital Support
José Afonso Furtado
Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian

11h15  Ideas, Doubts and Realities
Helder Coelho
Universidade de Lisboa

11h40 - 12h05    Session D2 - Debates
Standup multilateral debates continue (around coffee)

12h05 - 13h20    Session P3 - Presentations

12h05
CLARIN: Language Technology for the Humanities
Steven Krauwer
CLARIN Research Infrastructiure

12h30
A Strategic Research Agenda for Multilingual Europe
Hans Uszkoreit
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI) and
META-NET European R&D Network of Excellence

12h55
The Portuguese Language in the Digital Shock: challenges and opportunities
António Branco
Universidade de Lisboa and
METANET4U Project

13h20 - 13h30    Wrapping address

13h30 - 14h30    Session D3 - Debates
Standup multilateral debates conclude (supported by a light meal)

14h30    Farewell

FULL INFORMATION

For details on the Program, Speakers, Venue, Registration, etc.,