a data request

Gisbert Fanselow gisbert.fanselow at gmail.com
Fri May 24 11:53:10 UTC 2013

Dear colleague,

I'd like to ask you for your help in the context of a research project
funded by the DFG (the German research foundation). In order to complement
(and better understand) data collected from 'normal' native speakers of
English, we also need judgments from professional linguists preferably not
working in minimalist syntax ...

Below, you'll find 4 minidialogues, consisting of a questions and two
alternative answers. All I want to ask you for is which of the two oprions
for answering the question you prefer. If you have no preference, please
make a random selection.

I'll inform you about the outcome of the complete study if you are
interested.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Here are the four minidialogues

(1) Does everybody on your team love some girl in your home town?
a) Yes, they all love Mary.
b) Yes, Sam loves Mary, and Peter loves Jessica.

(2) Who wonders who bought what?
a) Well, John does.
b) Well, John wonders who bought the car, and Jane wonders who bought the
boat.

(3) Peter is watching the man with binoculars, right?
a) No, he is using a camera with a zoom lens.b) No, he is watching the man
standing beside the one with binoculars.

(4) Who remembers what who ordered?
a) Well, Peter does.
b) Well, Peter remembers what Ann ordered, and Jane remembers what Frank
ordered.
I am much looking forward to your answer!

Gisbert Fanselow
Professor of syntax, University of Potsdam, Germany

--
Gisbert Fanselow
Linguistics, University of Potsdam