No subject

Gisbert Fanselow gisbert.fanselow at gmail.com
Wed May 29 11:10:50 UTC 2013

Dear Emily,

thank you for your reaction to my report.

In principle, I consider the scenario possible (but see below) but I think
it does not affect the data just collected through your list.

As far as I can tell, the discussion of this subtle aspect of the
superiority effect has been confined to GB/OT circles, and there are only
VERY few discussions of it at all. Given that the frameworks usually ignore
each other's work, I doubt that many of the HPSG list members have read
through Lasnik & Saito (just like most GB people are not familiar with the
recent HPSG literature). So, ideally at least, the judgments have come from
experienced syntacticians who have NOT considered the contrast before.
Judgments are currently also being collected from phonologists and
semanticists, who are even less likely to have read the recent
GB/OT/minimalist stuff.

I think the judgments of linguists (as a group) are different because they
are people who are used to processing complex sentences, who have an
affection for language, who are able to ignore side effects, etc. etc.,
properties that we will probably also find among laypersons, but with much
less frequency.

In general, I think we know that repeated exposure has an effect on
judgments, but the really clear cases seem to all involve the transfer of a
pattern from one dialect to the other.

Thanks,
Gisbert