tone unit differences between some constructions in English

frank gudunj at 126.COM
Mon Feb 3 23:24:35 UTC 2014

Dear colleagues,

   I am comparing the differences about information focus between some grammatical constructions. In the examples below, thin vertical line indicates the position of the onset in a tone unit, and thick vertical line indicates the terminal boundaries of tone units. The syllables carrying the nucleus in the tone unit are in small capitals.

(1) He∣has told hisMOTHER┃

(2) He ∣lived  a GOOD life┃

(3) John∣took a WALK┃in the park.

  (4) The bear∣gave a  feRO┃cious GROWL┃.

 I am not a native English speaker. So, would anyone tell me my annotation to what extent is correct. Here I also assume there doesn’t exist substantial phonetic differences between British and American English .   Thank you.

With best wishes

Aipu Zhang