Plagirism again, please join the discussion on research gate

Arnold, Doug doug at ESSEX.AC.UK
Mon Mar 31 09:59:40 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues

I had not come across GRIN before this email thread started. I must say I think it is a very bad thing, and we should do what we can to discourage its use.

First, I'm disappointed that you have to pay for on-line access to content deposited with them -- surely this goes against the whole idea of open access? (and surely it makes it much harder to check for plagiarism).

Second, as Susanne says, how do they justify taking money for what is essentially similar to places like research gate? As far as I can see, the only thing they offer over and above things like research gate is the possibility of purchasing printed copies.

Am I missing something?

Best
Doug