GRIN

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at FU-BERLIN.DE
Mon Mar 31 11:11:17 UTC 2014

Hi Doug,

I think GRIN fulfills two purposes: It gives people an ISBN who need it
for something (looking serious?) and it helps them to make money.

> First, I'm disappointed that you have to pay for on-line access to
> content deposited with them -- surely this goes against the whole
> idea of open access?

GRIN is just not an OA publisher, as most publishers still aren't.

> (and surely it makes it much harder to check for
> plagiarism).

In some cases the text samples that are available are rather large and
can be used to detect this.

> Second, as Susanne says, how do they justify taking money for what is
> essentially similar to places like research gate? As far as I can
> see, the only thing they offer over and above things like research
> gate is the possibility of purchasing printed copies.

Well this is up to the authors: If they put their stuff on research gate
as well, they reduce their chances to sell anything. I guess not
everybody publishing with GRIN does this.

Best wishes

        Stefan

--
Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/

http://langsci-press.org/

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/Projects/CoreGram.html