transparancy and gender

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at FU-BERLIN.DE
Mon Mar 31 13:17:03 UTC 2014

My last reply to Valia's mails. I have to comment on one issue that
could otherwise be misunderstood.

> thank you for your reply. I strongly suggest that you may forward to the
> lists the message which Shalom Lappin sent you (cc'ing me), the one which
> for some reason he could not post to the HPSG mailing list. It says it
> all, and in a way which finds me in total agreement.

As a background for people on the LFG list and for those on the HPSG
list who never posted: The HPSG list does not have a moderator. It is an
open list. Everybody can subscribe and post. This was the way as long as
I can remember. The list was run by Ivan in Stanford and migrated to the
linguist list recently. Shalom probably posted to the old list, but this
list was disabled some weeks ago. Or there was some other problem not
caused by me.

On the contrary:

Am 30.03.14 13:01, schrieb Lappin, Shalom:
> Dear Stefan,

I replied four minutes later:

Am 30.03.14 13:05, schrieb Stefan Müller:
> Hi  Shalom,
>
> I can forward this to the list, if you want.
>
> Best wishes
>
>         Stefan

I am for maximal transparency in everything I do. I am an Open Science
advocate as is manifested in print:

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Pub/oa-jlm.html

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Pub/lsp-dfg.html

This is also reflected in the way we run Language Science Press for
instance we had an editors meeting last Friday which was announced
Berlin/Brandenburg wide and to all members of the oali mailinglist.
Everybody can subscribe there and Anke Beck and Birgit Sievert from De
Gruyter are list members.

The meeting took place in a very good and open atmosphere including
guests that are not editors but contributed valuable insights and opinions:

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/Bilder/2014/03/28/langsci-meeting/

As for transparency: only criminals have to hide (unless they are
presidents). We work in the open.

Concerning the gender issue: I forgot to mention the thing that is most
relevant to the recipients of these lists: my work as a member of the
HPSG standing committee:

http://www.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/external/hpsg/standingcommittee/

The task of this committee is to make sure that the annual conference
takes place and to select a program chair and suggest new members if
former members are rotated out. You may ask the present and past members
of this committee who raised the gender issues in this committee.

Since I am in Berlin the following people worked in my lab:

Philippa Cook
Janna Lipenkova
Elodie Winkel

Felix Bildhauer
Jakob Maché
Bjarne Ørsnes
Roland Schäfer
Ma­so­od Ghayoo­mi

Teaching assistants
Lea Hel­mers
Sarah Dietzfelbinger
Antje Bahlke

Some of them male some of them female. Some of them older some of them
younger than me. Some religious as members of different religions, some
atheists. There was no discrimination in any respect you can think of.

Best wishes

Stefan

--
Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/

http://langsci-press.org/

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/Projects/CoreGram.html