[HPSG-L] Open Review of Grammatical Theory book

Stefan Müller Stefan.Mueller at fu-berlin.de
Wed Jul 1 06:59:58 UTC 2015

Hi everybody,

A further comment about Open Review and the grammatical theory textbook.

The idea of Open Review as we see it at Language Science Press is to get
everybody invovled and get better books in the end. After the initial
submission of manuscripts we have a peer review (at least two external
reviewers) and this is followed by an optional Open Review phase. The
Open Review phase allows everybody to comment, that is, it is open for
PhD students, who would normally not be asked in the peer reviewing
phase. However, I think that many of the PhD students have more time
then the peers and are more specialized in the area of their PhD. So
this is a valuable resource.

Last week I took part at a workshop and participants said: "Yes, Open
Review is a great idea but a 700 page book ...". The open reviews do not
have to be reviews of complete books. Reviewers can comment on
individual chapters or even smaller units. In the grammar theory
textbook experts on a certain framework (GB, Minimalism, HPSG, LFG, CG,
CxG, DG, TAG) may comment on this framework. And there are general
topics that may be commented on. This is the TOC:

    In­tro­duc­tion
    Phrase Struc­ture Gram­mar
    Trans­for­ma­tion­al Gram­mar – Gov­ern­ment & Bind­ing
    Trans­for­ma­tion­al Gram­mar – Min­i­mal­ism
    Gen­er­al­ized Phrase Struc­ture Gram­mar
    Fea­ture De­scrip­tions
    Lex­i­cal Func­tion­al Gram­mar
    Cat­e­go­ri­al Gram­mar
    Head-​Driv­en Phrase Struc­ture Gram­mar
    Con­struc­tion Gram­mar
    De­pen­den­cy Gram­mar
    Tree Ad­join­ing Gram­mar
    Inate­ness of lin­guis­tic knowl­edge
    Gen­er­a­tive-​enu­mer­a­tive vs. mod­el-​the­o­ret­ic ap­proach­es
    Com­pe­tence/per­for­mance dis­tinc­tion
    Lan­guage ac­qui­si­tion
    Bi­na­ry branch­ing
    Gen­er­a­tive ca­pac­i­ty and gram­mat­i­cal for­malisms
    Lo­cal­i­ty
    Re­cur­sion
    Empty El­e­ments
    Ex­trac­tion, scram­bling, and pas­sive: one or sev­er­al
de­scrip­tive de­vices?
    Phrasal vs. lex­i­cal anal­y­ses
    Uni­ver­sal Gram­mar and com­par­a­tive lin­guis­tics with­out UG
    Con­clu­sion

The reviewing software allows annotations in the PDF:

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/25/

but of course more traditional forms of reviews are possible as well.

Reviewers will be rewarded in our gamification system (to be
implemented). For now there is a hall of fame:

http://langsci-press.org/about/hallOfFame

Best wishes

        Stefan

--
Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/

http://langsci-press.org/

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/Projects/CoreGram.html