[HPSG-L] Selection of phonology in nonlocal dependencies and raising

Rob Malouf rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Mar 1 16:28:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

For what it’s worth, Geoff Pullum and colleagues have argued strenously against the idea that syntax is sensitive to phonology, e.g.:

	http://web.stanford.edu/~zwicky/4PPFS.pdf

and here’s an implementation of (a version of) their notion of shape constraints in HPSG:

	http://web.stanford.edu/group/cslipublications/cslipublications/HPSG/2/Ash-Klein-pn.pdf

--
Rob Malouf <rmalouf at mail.sdsu.edu>
Department of Linguistics and Asian / Middle Eastern Languages