[HPSG-L] Selection of phonology in nonlocal dependencies and raising

Stefan Müller stefan.mueller at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 8 15:50:10 UTC 2016

Dear Dan, Berthold, Guy, David, Emily, Mike, Rob,

Uff, this was just in time. I was doing the final changes on the grammar
theory text book. I vaguely remembered the a/an distinction from
conversations with you (Dan) and Ivan. However, I thought that the noun
selects the determiner and this would not be sufficient for getting the
a/an distinction because of adjectives that may intervene between
determiner and noun. But of course, it works the other way round: if the
determiner selects the N' everything is fine.

I changed that section! Thanks, Dan!

I like the ERG approach to the a/an distinction since this keeps the
phonology out of local and hence out of nonlocal dependencies. But in
general I guess that Berthold is right that one should have a more
elaborate PHON representation as is common in papers dealing with
constraint-based phonology. Lots of stuff can be done there.

As for Georgian: This phenomenon would never cross clause-boundaries,
would it?

> 1) Adjacent phoneme(s)
> 2) Phonological features which might be claimed to be adjacent on a tier (vowel harmony, tone processes)
> 3) Non-adjacent phonemes within word (Georgian ex. above, although one could argue that this is (2); glottalization dissimilation in Quechua)
> 4) Phonemes adjacent across clitic boundaries (possibly differing by type of clitic)
> 5) Phonemes adjacent across major category word boundaries (liaison in French, mutation in Celtic languages)

Yes, but the general question is whether the phonology of "Chris" in the
following sentence can influence the internal structure of "that Peter saw".

Chris, Kim claims that Sandy believes that Peter saw.

If this is not the case then we can either say: "So what." or we have to
set up our theories in a way that rules this out. I would go for the "so
what" approach. But this means that all attemts to get stronger
constraints on locality of selection could also be given up.

We would just say: Do not look at this information, even though you
could (This is basically the locality principle of Pollard & Sag, 1987).

Best wishes

        Stefan

PS: Talking about ERG, did you see that Bralich has a law suit going ...

It was on the Linguist List.

	St.

--
PGP welcome

Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 838 52973
                    Fax: (+49) (030) 838 4 52973
Institut für Deutsche und Niederländische Philologie
Deutsche Grammatik
Habelschwerdter Allee 45
14 195 Berlin

http://hpsg.fu-berlin.de/~stefan/