[HPSG-L] Book announcements and financing of Language Science Press

Stefan Müller St.Mueller at hu-berlin.de
Tue Dec 5 08:05:33 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

This is to announce two Language Science Press books. The first one is
by Sanghoun Song and uses HPSG to model information structure: "Modeling
information structure in a cross-linguistic perspective"

It can be downloaded for free here:

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/111

and is also available as high quality print both as soft and hardcover
(see links on the webpage).

Another book that will be published soon is by Gabriela Bîlbîie:
Grammaire des constructions elliptiques: Une étude comparative des
phrases sans verbe en roumain et en français

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/27

Three further HPSG books are in the pipeline. In addition we have
textbooks that are relevant for list members.

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/series/tbls

And a collection of all papers by Tilman Höhle will appear in the
Classics series.

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/149

He had several HPSG papers and lots of interesting
stuff on German syntax.

Further volumes containing HPSG papers (morphology, syntax, phraseology)
will appear this year or at the beginning of next year.

A big HPSG handbook is planned for the end of the year (see yesterdays
email).

https://hpsg.hu-berlin.de/Projects/HPSG-handbook/

So Language Science Press is relevant for our community. If you like the
idea of open access books that are free to download and free for
authors, you may want to help us to get a stable funding for the next
three years. We set up an international network of libraries. Libraries
pay 1000€ per year (initially for three years) and they get 30 books per
year from us. This is 33€ per book. (Compare this with book prices for
scientific books in general.) To organize this funding we cooperate with
a service provider, Knowledge Unlatched. We need at least 100 libraries
or other institutional partners. Currently we have 80, so we have to
find another 20. This is the current list of institutions who pledged
(scroll down):

http://www.knowledgeunlatched.org/language-science-press/

The list of supporters includes MIT, Harvard, Tübingen, Buffalo,
Frankfurt/M., Bochum, Washington, Austin, LA.

If your university is not on this list and you want to support Language
Science Press, please contact me and I will provide you with details.
You may also read this blog post and send a mail to your librarian.

https://userblogs.fu-berlin.de/langsci-press/2017/04/18/future-of-language-science-press/

Thanks for your support!

Best wishes

        Stefan

--
PGP welcome

Stefan Müller       Tel: (+49) (+30) 2093 9631

Institut für deutsche Sprache und Linguistik
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
Dorotheenstraße 24
10117 Berlin

http://hpsg.hu-berlin.de/~stefan/