[HPSG-L] Book about argument structure constructions (benefactive and resulative) and collaborative reading platform paperhive

Stefan Müller St.Mueller at hu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 20 15:57:51 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

Recently my new book (a short book rather than a lengthy paper) on
argument structure constructions appeared in the series Conceptual
Foundations of Language Science published by Language Science Press. It
discusses a phrasal approach within LFG that uses glue semantics and
inheritance to account for benefactives and for resultative
constructions. I show why I believe that such phrasal approaches are not
appropriate and why we lexicalists should stick to lexical analyses. I
develop a lexical alternative in HPSG that captures cross-linguistic
generalizations, accounts for both German and English and also can
explain the interaction of benefactive and resultative constructions,
which are possible in German.

The book is available here:

http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/163

We plan to feature the online reading/commenting platform paperhive and
want to do this with my book. Ash Asudeh, Laura Michaelis, Remi van
Trijp, Ida Toivonen, and Annie Zaenen will read the book online and
maybe comment on it.

This is the book on paperhive

https://paperhive.org/documents/items/CDuBamUa0iWI

Remi already started to comment. And although the official discussion
period is planned to be in January, I replied to some of the comments.

So, if you are interested, please join the discussion. Now or in January.

Best wishes and happy holidays and a good new year

	Stefan