[HPSG-L] "The Limits of Experimentation" - Conference Bochum, Germany (May 2020)

Alicia Katharina Börner alicia.boerner at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Oct 18 14:04:28 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,
in a project on the syntactic behavior of adverbials in German, Tibor Kiss, Jutta Pieper and I follow an experimental linguistic approach (for more information, visit us on our website <https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/theo-und-comp-ling/en/projekte/position-und-interpretation-adverbialer-ppen-im-deutschen-satz/>). In conducting different acceptability studies (Forced Choice, Likert Scales, Sentence Fragment Arrangement), we came across various problematic aspects in experimental practice, ranging from questions of concrete limitations of factorial designs to debates concerning an adequate method-specific statistical analysis. These challenges are not restricted to acceptability judgments, rather, they are very general in nature.

The project is funded by the German Research Association (DFG) and will come to its official end by the end of July, 2020. In light of the various problematic aspects, we are organizing a conference with the title The Limits of Experimentation - Current Challenges in Experimental Linguistic Practice <https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/limitsofexperimentation/>. The purpose of the conference is to bring together experimental researchers working in different strands and different linguistic sub-disciplines or related areas where each individual proposal attacks important theoretical and practical questions in linguistic experimentation. With this, we want to contribute to a critical evaluation of current standards as well as to the development of new standards and guidelines in the field.

Here is the main conference information:

main conference site                        https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/limitsofexperimentation/ <https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/limitsofexperimentation/>
conference date                                 May 22-23, 2020

conference venue                               Convention Centre, Hall 1, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany, Universitätsstraße 150, 44801 Bochum

invited speakers                                  Barbara Hemforth (Paris Diderot University, Laboratoire de Linguistique Fomelle), Sharvan Vasishth (University of Potsdam, Department of Linguistics)

contact                                                  limitsofexperimentation at ruhr-uni-bochum.de <mailto:limitsofexperimentation at ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
organizing committee                        Tibor Kiss, Alicia Katharina Börner, Jutta Pieper, and Sarah Broll

In case you too came across such practical questions, we would be happy to discuss them with you.

The Call for Papers <https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/limitsofexperimentation/call-for-paper.html> is now online! We invite submissions on questions of experimental practice, independent of the (linguistic) sub-discipline. Abstracts should be geared to 30+15 minute talks and should not exceed 1500 words including data, graphics and references. Abstracts should be anonymously submitted in doc(x)- or pdf-format, until November 15, 2019. For more detailed information on content, please visit our conference website!

Submission Details

submission link                                                  https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=lofe2020 <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=lofe2020>
deadline for abstract submission                   November 15, 2019

notification of acceptance                               January 10, 2020

With kind regards,

Alicia Katharina Börner