[HPSG-L] HPSG 2020 Conference -- Call for online organizers

Asudeh, Ash ash.asudeh at rochester.edu
Tue May 19 13:37:14 UTC 2020

Hi everyone

I haven’t been involved in the HPSG community for a while, so I hope this is not an unwelcome case of interloping, but I want to endorse what Stefan said below. It is time to re-evaluate us academics flying all over the world, especially for a small and already relatively well-connected community such as this one.

The climate question is a very important aspect of this, probably the most important, but there’s also a basic equity question, too, as Stefan points out.

An in-person conference that ping pongs all over the world can only be regularly attended by academics from well-resourced universities, in wealthy countries (and whatever locals turn up, but my experience from the LFG conference is that this is hugely variable and not a major factor).

An online conference is not only kinder to the planet, it is also fairer. Even if technology is not fairly distributed either, it is more fairly distributed than the ability to pay for international airfare and hotel accommodation for several days and the ability to take all that time away from other duties.

Ash

Sent from a thing that makes typing difficult