[HPSG-L] Formalism/theory distinction: citations

Gerald Penn gpenn at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jan 5 21:14:02 UTC 2021

Dear Olga Zamaraeva,

  It's probably a mistake to be looking for a genesis of this distinction
within
HPSG, because HPSG itself developed within a context of multiple interacting
theories that partly shared their formalisms, and this distinction was
already
known within that context.
  The oldest discussion that I am aware of was in Mark Johnson's
dissertation in
the late 1980s, but it may very well go back earlier than that.  The
justification
at the time was a very pragmatic one:  separating formalism from theory
allowed
us the freedom to choose a very standard formalism from logic and computer
science
in which the proof theory and search algorithms were already well understood.

Regards,
Gerald