[HPSG-L] Formalism/theory distinction: citations

Berthold Crysmann berthold.crysmann at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:22:47 UTC 2021

Hi Olga,

On 05/01/2021 22:14, Gerald Penn wrote:
> Dear Olga Zamaraeva,
>
>   It's probably a mistake to be looking for a genesis of this distinction
> within
> HPSG, because HPSG itself developed within a context of multiple interacting
> theories that partly shared their formalisms, and this distinction was
> already
> known within that context.
>   The oldest discussion that I am aware of was in Mark Johnson's
> dissertation in
> the late 1980s, but it may very well go back earlier than that.  The
> justification
> at the time was a very pragmatic one:  separating formalism from theory
> allowed
> us the freedom to choose a very standard formalism from logic and computer
> science
> in which the proof theory and search algorithms were already well understood.

What is special, though, that we opted for a single formalism to
implement different theories, unlike the LFG approach where linguistic
sub-theories can be couched in different formalism, and they often are.
Think of CFGs for constituency plus FS for functional structure plus
linear logic for semantics plus either PFM (formalism plus theory) or
FST for morphology. There may be more but these are the ones that come
to mind.

Cheers,

Berthold