[HPSG-L] JLM is looking for copy editors

Adam Przepiórkowski adamp at ipipan.waw.pl
Sat Feb 17 16:23:14 UTC 2024

Dear All,

We are looking for copy editors for the Journal of Language Modelling (JLM;
http://jlm.pipan.waw.pl/).

JLM has been a diamond open access periodical since before this term was
coined; it is independent of publishing houses, it is community-driven, and
it is free for all – readers and authors alike. We, the editors, invest our
time in this enterprise and we have always relied on similarly voluntary
help from the reviewers and other people involved in the production of the
journal. Of these “other people”, copy editors are undoubtedly most
important and most skilled: a good JLM copy editor should not only be a
native speaker of English (or perhaps a near-native graduate of English
Philology) with a good command of the scientific style, but should also
know some basics of LaTeX, XeLaTeX and/or Overleaf, and – preferably – have
interest in theoretical or computational linguistics. So far, JLM copy
editors have been doing an excellent job; to cite one of the JLM authors,
one that published many papers in journals run by major publishing houses:
“I never got such a good copy editing in my whole scientific life...”.

Being independent means that we are on a very tight budget, and in the past
we have mainly relied on purely voluntary help of copy editors. However,
thanks to the support of the publisher of JLM – the Institute of Computer
Science of the Polish Academy of Sciences – we can currently offer some
renumeration, in the form of 80 PLN (€18) per 1000 words of copy-edited
text, which amounts to about 1000 PLN (over €200) for a JLM paper of
average length.

If you are a PhD student (PhD graduate, ambitious Masters student…) in
Linguistics, Natural Language Processing, or a related field, satisfying
the above copy editor profile, and you would like to become a JLM copy
editor, please send us (jlm at nlp.ipipan.waw.pl) an email detailing how you
satisfy the above requirements. If you are a professor with graduate
students potentially satisfying this profile, please consider encouraging
them to help us – it is in the best interest of the community to keep JLM
independent and free for all.

Best regards,
Adam Przepiórkowski
(JLM Editor-in-Chief)