Intermediate syntactic meaning

Hans-Heinrich Lieb lieb at ZEDAT.FU-BERLIN.DE
Wed Jan 12 15:35:47 UTC 2005

Dear IL-List subscribers,

Andreas Nolda's small paper (whose essentials he discussed with me
beforehand) is important, and I accept its result: In addition to
intermediate syntactic meanings (ISM) as assumed in Lieb 1983 for
constituents of the type of *american student*, there should be a second type
of ISM, of the general form <Z superscript n, d superscript n>, exemplified
by Nolda's (10), which would be <Z superscript 1, d superscript 1> (n is the
number of variables of type x that appear in a d-type lambda expression:
Lambda xVV1). Creating concepts whose intension contains attributes d
superscript n was a mistake of which I was conscious in writing Lieb 1983
but whose correction I left for later. I subsequently proposed a correction
by which the relations d superscript n themselves were taken as ISMs of a new
type. While this corrected the original mistake, it introduced a new one
which Nolda now discovered and has corrected. It is not yet clear to me if
relations d superscript n must still be retained as ISMs in different
contexts, and the consequences for the relevant semantic relations building
up the proposition - already hinted at by Nolda - remain to be established in
a more precise way.

I do not understand Nolda's .arrive'. in (7') but this is inessential.

Hans-Heinrich Lieb

 Prof. Dr. Hans-Heinrich Lieb
 FB Philosophie und Geisteswissenschaften
 FREIE UNIVERSITÄT BERLIN

 lieb at zedat.fu-berlin.de
 Telefon     (030) 838-52973
 Sekretariat (030) 838-52168