Intensions

Andreas Nolda andreas.nolda at CMS.HU-BERLIN.DE
Fri Jan 21 19:58:58 UTC 2005

Dear subscribers,

Integrational Semantics makes abundant use of intensions: properties
and intensional relations are assumed in the intension of potential
concepts (word meanings), sentence meanings are conceived as
intensional relations between potential utterances and potential
speakers, etc.

The nature of these intensions, however, has been left unspecified:

   We shall leave it undecided how exactly relations-in-intension and
   properties are to be construed, whether in the way proposed by
   Richard Montague or in some other way.   (Lieb 1980: 126)

Montague conceives intensions as functions from possible worlds to
extensional entities. Thus, two intensions are identical if their
values are identical for every possible world.

According to another explication of "intension", which is due to
Carnap, intensions are identical if they are logically equivalent.
According to common assumptions, logically true statements hold in
every possible world (and logically false statements hold in no
possible world). Thus, the conceptions of Montague and Carnap
amount to the same identity conditions for intensions.

Now, as far as I can see, constructing intensions along these lines
leads to problems in Integrational Semantics. Consider the following
two properties:

(1)  the property of not being identical with oneself

(2)  the property of being circular as well as non-circular

Let us assume that in no possible world there is anything which has
(1) or (2). Thus, (1) and (2) have the same value for every possible
world: that is, the empty set.

Equivalently, we may assume, that "for every x, x has (1) if and only
if x has (2)" is a logically true statement.

In other words, according to Montague's and Carnap's conceptions, (1)
and (2) are identical: they are the 'contradictory property' or 'null
property'.

As a consequence, given that (1) and (2) make up the intension of two
possible concepts (say, .non-identical with oneself. and .circular
and non-circular.), both concepts are identical, too. Despite the
somewhat artifical nature of the examples, this consequence is quite
unwelcome.

Similar problems arise when assuming intensions of some kind
(intensional relations or states-of-affairs) as the content of
propositional attitudes like 'believe' or 'communicate'.

The reason for these problems is obvious: they result -- as far as
natural language is concerned -- from a counter-intuitive conception
of intensions. For, according to the ordinary-language use of
"property", (1) and (2) clearly are different properties.

Therefore I'd claim that Montague's (or Carnap's) conception of
intensions is too weak for Integrational Semantics. What we need are
'hyper-intensions' or something of the kind.

Andreas Nolda

Reference

Lieb, Hans-Heinrich (1980). Syntactic meanings. In _Speech Act Theory
and Pragmatics_, ed. by John R. Searle, Ferenc Kiefer, and Manfred
Bierwisch, Synthese Language Library 10, Dordrecht: Reidel, 121-153.
--
Andreas Nolda      http://www2.hu-berlin.de/linguistik/institut/nolda/

Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Philosophische Fakultät II
Institut für deutsche Sprache und Linguistik