Aloha and introduction

Keola Donaghy keola at LEOKI.UHH.HAWAII.EDU
Wed Dec 11 18:37:09 UTC 2002

Aloha kakou. My name is Keola Donaghy, I'm Hawaiian Language Technology
and Curriculum Coordinator at Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani College of
Hawaiian language at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo. I've been dealing
with issues regarding technology use in Hawaiian language for over 10
years. I'm also a graduate student in Hawaiian Language and Literature at
UH-Hilo.

We deal predominantly with Macintosh, but have also done work to make the
use of Hawaiian language on Windows easier as well. We established an all
Hawaiian-language BBS/Intranet system (Leoki) in 1994 that serves nearly
1,000 Hawaiian speakers, a bilingual English-Hawaiian website, Kualono in
1995, and more recently convinced Apple Computer to officially support
Hawaiian in OS X 10.2 ("Jaguar") by including a Hawaiian language keyboard
and all of our characters in the fonts that ship with OS X. This past
semester we've been teaching a university-level, first-year Hawaiian
language course to students in seven states via Leoki, using both text and
interactive audio (students read, write, listen and record their own
voices as assignment submissions). We're working on development of other
courses that will be taught this way as well, to better serve the huge
population of native Hawaiians living abroad.

Here are some links of interest...

Leoki - http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/resources/leoki.html
Kualono - http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/dual/
OS X support for Hawaiian -
http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/resources/macosx.html
Hawaiian Classes Language Online -
http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/eng/dl/haw101/
Hawaiian language technology resources -
http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/dual/resources/

Aloha!

Keola

Keola Donaghy
Hawaiian Language Curriculum and Technology Coordinator
Native Hawaiian Serving Institution Program
University of Hawai'i at Hilo

keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu        http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~nhsi
Kualono                           http://www.olelo.hawaii.edu/