Introduction

sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Dec 12 18:37:19 UTC 2002

Hello,

I work regularly as a language planning consultant with the Colorado River
Indian Tribes ( particularly with Mohave and some with Chemehuevi)and do
teacher training focused on language and culture for the English department
at the U. of Arizona where I also direct the ESL writing courses. I am passionate
about the issues related to endangered languages and am intrigued by the
many applications which the world of technology now offers to the field of
language documentation and revitalization.

A few years ago, I began experimenting with linguistic translation on-line
 using the MOO (which is licensed to the U of A but available to everyone),which
is normally an instructional tool, as a tool for linguistic research. This
work is what led me to apply for the funding which will now allow us to train
tribal members from CRIT in a range of technology (including the MOO and
WIMBA and software from our Critical Languages program and more) which can
be applied to their languages and to create a model for other tribal communities
where training is needed. I am very grateful for the constant support provided
by Amelia Flores, tribal librarian and archivist at CRIT, for her work in
relation to this project. Phil Cash Cash and I will be team teaching the
AILDI course which Akira mentioned and which will, we hope, be the logical
result of the work we have begun with funding from the Gates foundation.

I would also like to thank Phil for his creation and management of this list
and to thank all of you who are taking time to introduce yourselves --

Susan
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English
University of Arizona