ED MEDIA 2003 (conference)

Susan D. Penfield sdp at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sun Nov 10 17:06:02 UTC 2002

Hi -
I've just returned from the Indigenous Language Institute conference in Alburquerque
-- lots of interest in tech stuff and many groups working with various types
of technology (some, like Choctaw using web-based formats for distance education,
several developing CD's and lots more video materials being included).

 One of the most interesting projects to call attention to is being done
in British Columbia (about 32 endangered languages there). The website to
visit is called 'First Voices.com' --check it out! It offers an archiving
tool and is specifically designed for utility to tribal members to do their
own work on their own languages...it also offers a great way to develop language
games.
S.

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
Department of English