Native Language Email (article)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Wed Nov 13 17:52:11 UTC 2002

Good article, thanks.

I lived in Asia in the 1990's and the early part of this decade, and I
witnessed an amazing revolution in terms of native language use of
e-mail and Internet.  In Thailand in the early 90's, for example, e-mail
use was restricted to an elite who could communicate in English, as
then-current technology could not handle the Thai writing system.
 Technological advances not only caused most people to switch to Thai,
they also brought in the majority of Thais who do not speak English.
 Today, the idea of writing e-mail in English to other native speakers
of Thai would seem quaint indeed to most Thai teenagers, who have
already grown up with technology which allows them to use their native
language online with ease.  People who are fluent in English may use it
to communicate with native speakers of other languages, but native
speakers of Thai now use almost exclusively Thai to communicate among
themselves.  This revolution has also occurred in Japan and Taiwan, the
other two Asian countries that I have lived in.

Now, with the need to write e-mail in English already a thing of the
past, the new trend has been towards e-mail programs which allow
minority languages and dialects to be used, which lessens the dependance
on national Asian languages like Standard Japanese, Standard Thai, and
Mandarin Chinese.  Last year, my Japanese wife and I were riding a train
in Japan, and she was transfixed by a huge advertisement for a program
which would allow her to write her native dialect, Kansai Japanese,
online.  The advertisement showed what would happen if you input Kansai
Japanese into a standard program (the computer would "misread" the
phonetic input) vs. what would happen if you used the program advertised
(the program would correctly interpret the phonetic input).

It is my experience that if you create technology which allows people to
easily use their native languages online, they will do it, just as
people prefer to use all other technologies in their native languages.
 The only real challenge is creating the technology and making it
available to everyone.

Matthew Ward