Place-Based Indigenous Knowledge Institute at Sitting Bull Colle ge

Onur Senarslan onursenarslan at YAHOO.COM
Wed Apr 9 18:52:05 UTC 2003

*.pub is a MS Publisher file.

Here I enclosed a plain text copy for your
convenience.

Best,

Onur Senarslan

-------------------
1341 -  92nd Street
Fort Yates, North Dakota  58538
Phone: 701-854-3861
Fax: 701-854-3403
Email: lannikol at sbci.edu
Sitting Bull College
Sacagawea Learning Center
Riverfront Drive
Mobridge, South Dakota

Indigenous Place-Based Knowledge of the Missouri River
and  Its Tributaries
Teachers' Institute
Sitting Bull College
Participants will study contemporary literature and
oral tradition to learn what is preserved before and
after the creation of the dams.
Educational tours  to public and tribal sites to study
flora and fauna will provide the foundation for
curriculum development.
Study with descendants of river culture.
~SOur need to question is as natural as breathing,
enabling us to understand the world and our place in
it.~T
~SLet us put our minds together to see what we can
build for our children.~T

Tatanka Iyotake, Sitting Bull,
Hunkpapa Teton
June 1-7, 2003
What is place-based curricula?

How will this knowledge provide cultural bridges?

How will it embrace the academic standards for
geography, ecology, science, culture, economy, and
history?
Program Schedule and Detail

Sunday June 1
2:00 p.m. Registration at Sacagawea Learning Center in
Mobridge, SD.
4:00 p.m. Guided tour: Fort Manuel Lisa and the Kenel
Wacipi.

Monday June 2
8:00 Opening ceremony: Lakota Thunder Drum Guided
tour: landscape of history, song and storytelling.
Afternoon forum: Finding ways to interface academic
standards and curriculum synthesis with Dr. Alesia
Maltz and tribal scholars.
Evening curriculum synthesis and development with Dr.
Maltz and tribal scholars.

Tuesday June 3
Native language and the landscape; hands-on field
activity and tour of native plants.
Contemporary literature.
Evening curriculum synthesis and development with Dr.
Maltz and tribal scholars.

Wednesday June 4
Oral tradition and the art of storytelling;
river;readings, creation stories, and water myths.
Bioblitz activity.
Evening curriculum synthesis and development with Dr.
Maltz and tribal scholars.

Thursday June 5
Stories and the language of the river.
Contemporary studies in literature and film.
Evening curriculum synthesis and development with Dr.
Maltz and tribal scholars.

Friday June 6
Validating experiential learning
Waterfest: traditional foods and the River in Song
with Lorrie Lee Olson.
Open community discussion and exhibit of curriculum
projects.

Saturday June 7
8:00 a.m.  Final notes.
Closing ceremony: Lakota Thunder Drum
Email: lannikol at sbci.edu
Contact:
Lanniko L. Lee
or Lisa McLaughlin

Sitting Bull College
How may we meet your needs?
Comments: _______________________________
I would  like to receive the following information:
Lodging:
Please check the items that apply.
Registration packet
Name
Address
Phone
Single room
Double room
Handicap access
Undergraduate credit
Educator on the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation ?
Identify
School where you teach in the comment box.
Graduate credit
SCHOLARS:

Elizabeth Cook-Lynn
        author, editor, and educator
Mary Louise Defender-Wilson
        storyteller, advocate for       tribal rights
Alesia  Maltz
        environmental historian  and    college educator
Gladys Hawk
        Lakota/Dakota language  instructor
Wilbur Flying By
        Lakota/Dakota language  instructor
Linda Bishop-Jones
        ethnobotanist
LaDonna Brave Bull-Allard
        educational tour guide of       Standing Rock Sioux Nation

Stephen Truchon
        environmental studies
Please detach at line and mail to:

http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/