Native tongue

Sarah Supahan ssupahan at HUMBOLDT.K12.CA.US
Tue Apr 29 01:10:18 UTC 2003

These are wonderful comments on the issue, backed up with good evidence.

I want to clarify what I meant - if the "world view" in the last
paragraph refers to my posting:

It would seem important to use or create words from the world view of
the language, if not using borrowed words that fit. In this way, the
concepts and attitudes of the culture are embedded within the words.
For example, in Karuk the word for teacher is "one who points" and a
school is "the pointing place". Within this identification is a
cultural world view: At the time white teachers came to this area,
pointing was not considered a polite thing to do. Yet, here were these
people with their pointing sticks pointing to things on the school room
boards and pointing at people.  The Karuk words to identify schools and
teachers, therefore, don't have anything to do with teaching or
knowledge, but instead bring forth a cultural understanding. On the
other hand, the Karuk word for telephone, which basically means
"shouting from a distance" is not so very different than the original
Greek root words tele and phone. Therefore, if words are to be created
or used, the most important thing, it seems to me, is if the ideas come
from within the context of the language's culture.