Dying Words -- Part II (fwd)

Matthew Ward mward at LUNA.CC.NM.US
Tue Aug 19 14:33:41 UTC 2003

Good article.  However, having read about the linguistic situation in
the EU, I don't think that this particular issue has much to do with
English.  Speakers of major European (not minority or endangered)
European languages are concerned, in my mind rightfully, that EU
government business not be too dominated by English.  However, most
minority languages in the EU are being replaced by other major European
languages, not by English.  Basque, for example, is threatened by
Spanish, Romansh is threatened by German or French.  It is only the
minority languages being spoken in English-speaking European countries
(Great Britain, Ireland) which are being threatened by English.