Program immerses students in Cherokee

Hishinlai' fnkrs at UAF.EDU
Mon Aug 25 18:39:45 UTC 2003

This is fantastic news! Wish this were the mentality of all school
administrators, parents, and politicians. Hishinlai'

<ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU> =====
>Program immerses students in Cherokee
>
>Tulsa World
>8/23/2003
>
>LOST CITY (AP) -- The kindergarten teacher speaks to her class in
>Cherokee, telling the children to pull out their mats for nap time.
>
>She calls out their names in Cherokee, telling "Yo-na," or Bear, to
>place his mat away from "A-wi," or Deer. Soft Cherokee music lulls them
>to sleep.
>
>Their parents were mocked for speaking Cherokee. Their grandparents
>punished. But Cherokee is the only language these children will speak
>in their public school classroom.
>
>Lost City is the first public school class to immerse students in the
>American Indian language in Oklahoma. Another public school class is
>being planned by the Eastern band of Cherokees in North Carolina at
>Swain County High School.
>
>Cherokee Nation Chief Chad Smith spoke to educators at a meeting last
>year and told them the language is dying.
>
>Fewer than 8,000 of the 100,000 Cherokees in Oklahoma can speak the
>language fluently, and most of those who can are older than 45.
>
>Smith said his father was punished for speaking Cherokee at Sequoyah
>High School in Tahlequah, the seat of Cherokee government.
>
>"If you spoke the language, your mouth was washed out with soap," he
>said. "It was an effort to destroy the language, and it was fairly
>successful."
>
>Assimilation policies once discouraged the use of the native language in
>schools, he said. Harry Oosahwee, the tribe's language projects
>supervisor, said he was mocked and ridiculed for speaking his first
>language in his public school.
>
>Annette Millard, the school superintendent, spoke to Smith at the
>meeting and was determined to do her part to preserve the language.
>
>She runs a school that sits on 40 acres off a winding country road
>outside the small town of Hulbert. Sixty-five of the 100 students are
>members of the Cherokee tribe.
>
>"It is important to them that they are able to learn about their culture
>and language and speak as much of it as possible," she said.
>
>"The language is going to be gone if we don't do something, and the best
>people to learn are kids in the developmental stage of kindergarten."
>
>She started learning the language along with her staff.
>
>The Cherokee Nation has paid the salaries of the teacher and an
>assistant in the hope that the younger generation will renew the
>culture of their ancestors by learning the disappearing tongue.
>
>Ten children are currently enrolled in the class. Next year, the
>immersion class will be held for first grade, and the students will
>continue with these classes as they move through the school.
>
>Chief Smith hopes the Cherokee Nation has acted in time.
>
>"The vessel that holds the culture," he said, "is the language."

Hishinlai'
"Kathy R. Sikorski", Gwich'in Instructor
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Alaska Native Language Center
P. O. Box 757680
Fairbanks, AK  99775-7680