Informal servey

MiaKalish@RedPony miakalish at REDPONY.US
Wed Dec 10 20:10:00 UTC 2003

Dear Indigenous Scholars:

I would like to ask a question that is only slightly off-topic, less so for languages that have a "women's language" and a "men's language" than for those who do not.

I have a belief that for Indigenous women, there is not the contention that is so often studied in Women's Studies programs. I am working in the Women's Studies Program Office at New Mexico State, and would like to see our curriculum expand to include women in Science, for who men are co-workers and friends, and Women of Color, for whom issues, especially in those groups where land, culture, language, and often livelihood, have been ripped away, are very, very different than for the white women who have traditionally involved themselves in Women's Studies programs and who have written much of the Women's Studies rhetoric.

I was hoping some number of you would have the time and willingness to reply to me, at MiaKalish at RedPony.US, and let me know what is true for you. I will take your replies, without your names unless you specifically request that I attribute your responses to you, and use them to make a case for an expanded curriculum here at NMSU. If we are successful, and those who participated are interested, I will return the favor for your time and consideration by sending you the copies of the prepared documents that I develop to support this case.

I am not only asking Indigenous Women to reply, but Indigenous Men, also. My underlying idea is that "Women's Studies" has to be about a lot, lot more than "Look at what those big mean ole men did to us", which has been the traditional refrain for 30 years. I want something that reflects who The People actually are, all the people, the men, the women, and Everyone, not just the white women who seem to dominate this field of study.

Thanking you in advance,
Mia Kalish

"Heritage Languages: Don't leave home without one."

Mia Kalish, M.A.
Director, Red Pony Heritage Language Team
PhD Student, Computer Science
Tularosa, New Mexico USA 88352
www.redpony.us