Language impoverishment

Don Osborn dzo at BISHARAT.NET
Mon Dec 15 20:41:50 UTC 2003

Thank you Matthew (very belatedly).  I think you are right in disaggregating
the two elements of what I called language impoverishment as you do.  I
wonder however if there are not more connections between them.  IOW, if you
raise a generation of people with deficiencies in both the mother tongue and
the (generally external) language of instruction, what effect does it have
on society-wide range of expressiveness and the vigor of the first language?
In a large population, say Cantonese speakers or Hausa speakers or maybe
even Dine speakers (just to take 3 examples), you will generally have a core
of educated people and perhaps a cultural production which operate with a
more sophisticated knowledge in the language.  (Today, with the potentials
of ICT, this level can be brought more effectively out to more users.)

In a smaller population, even when actively using the language, is there the
same reservoir or performance of the language's richness?  When a few key
elders pass away how much knowledge, including perhaps obscure but important
vocabulary etc., goes with them? (Amadou Hampate Ba's famous metaphor was
that when an elder dies a library burns.)  The reason I ask is that I have
encountered people who tell me there is no word for such-and-such in their
language, but from earlier documentation I knew/found out there was.  How
many other expressions, turns of phrase etc. that mean something important
but not necessarily encountered every day, or could be creatively applied to
something new, are lost without being recorded (or recorded but not returned
through education to the speakers through education)?  ...with the result
being a kind of Newspeak by default (without any Orwellian authority to plan
it).

I guess the matter would have to be settled by some detailed ground level
research.  If you look at satellite images of vegetation in the Sahel it
seems like the desert is now retreating (as per a news item not too long
ago), but down here on the ground the biodiversity is definitely less,
larger trees are fewer, and the vegetation index shows a shift of species.
The analogy may not hold for what is happening with language, but I'd be
more comfortable knowing for sure...

It may be that what happens is an impoverishment of expression and some loss
of vocabulary that is not readily evident and this goes on slowly for a
period, and that this is related to socioeconomic, demographic, political
etc. changes.  And that as that regression continues, at some point it
reaches a "stalling point" or some such threshhold where we can say that the
language is clearly losing structures / expressiveness as in your second
category (corresponding perhaps with another categorization such as
moribund).

Relating all this to Mia's message a while back and my reply, it seems there
are several angles from different disciplines to considering links among
various combinations of language "health" & survival, speakers' skills &
range of expression, and individual & social wellbeing, but no synthetic
approach to seeking a more unified or at least connected understanding of
what's going on.  One particular topic already brought up - that of people
growing up with what amounts to impaired bi/multilingualism (limited
expression/skills in both/all languages spoken; we know of course that the
reason for such impairment is not the multiplicity of languages but a
reflection of the education approach or lack of same) - is something I
hadn't given much thought to until recently.  And now I don't seem to find
much discussion of it, let alone its relations to other hotbutton topics
like language survival.

A lot of heavy thinking remains in all this but the more I get into it
(slowly, being preoccupied with other concerns), the more important it
seems.

Don