Language Use Questioned

Andre Cramblit andrekar at NCIDC.ORG
Sun Jun 1 22:02:23 UTC 2003

Article Last Updated: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 2:02:13 AM MST

Native language use in schools draws questions

By Paula Pennell

Santa Fe Bureau chief

SANTA FE There were more questions than answers during a public hearing
Friday on the state Department of Education's proposed licensure rule
changes for school accountability and Native American Language and Culture
certification.

Most of the questions and confusion stemmed from the licensure rules for
teachers of Native Language and Culture, which was mandated by the
Legislature and signed into law by former Gov. Gary Johnson in 2002.

The objective of the law is to allow school districts to offer classes in
native languages and cultures of specific tribes and pueblos in
kindergarten through 12th grades.

The proposed regulation for certification in Native American language and
culture requires each of the state's numerous tribes and pueblos to have a
signed Memorandum of Agreement in place with the state.

But several of the more than one dozen educators on hand expressed concern
that there were no guidelines for salary structure and finding qualified
teachers for the program. A college degree is not required for
certification, but prospective teachers must meet the requirements
established by each tribe and pueblo.

Arlene Kirstine with Farmington Public Schools said, "Here it is already
May and we're just starting to look for teachers. They're limited and
they're prized possessions."

Kirstine said that although she was asked to work with the Navajo Nation on
the draft for the plan, she has yet to hear from tribal leaders.

"What guidelines do we use?" she asked. "We've already scheduled students
for classes at the high school level, but will these classes count as
credit for graduation qualifications?"

Loren Cushman with the Dulce School District said the teachers were already
included in the district's accountability plans. But, he said, how would
those plans be impacted if a teacher leaves and can't be replaced?

"It all sounds great," Cushman said, "but getting local language speakers
to teach isn't going to be easy. Some of the folks going for licensure
approval have a reputation for not being the most reliable."

"How is the district going to be held accountable if we get funding and
teachers bail out part of the way through and there's no one to replace the
teachers that leave?" he asked.

William Blair, deputy director of the accountability division, said the
school accountability plans aren't set in stone and could be modified if
needed.

As to the issue of salary schedules, Willie Brown, head of the department's
legal division, said that would have to be determined by each district.

"There are no salary recommendations for licensure," he said.

Brown said that language committees and teams from most of the tribes and
pueblos have been meeting regularly, but so far none of the criteria and
standards for qualifications had been submitted yet.

But, he said, there has been "positive buzz" from the tribes and pueblos
and he expects the Memorandums of Agreement to start rolling in over the
course of the summer.

The issue of accreditation for the classes is still up in the air, Blair
said.

"Depending on what the state Board of Education does in June the
accreditation process may change," he said.

Blair also addressed questions relating to an addition to the regulation
for corrective action schools.

The addition, he said, provides more specific information about how local
boards and the state superintendent interact.

Cushman questioned the process, saying that in the past the department had
provided technical assistance in dealing with corrective actions
procedures.

"We have two schools on the school improvement list and no real direct
assistance," he said. "Are we going to have technical assistance in the
future?"

Blair said part of the problem has been transitioning going on in the
Department of Education. "We will give input on school improvement plans
that are submitted," he said. "You'll get a letter back by June regarding
what our recommendations are based on the plan that is submitted."

News that the U.S. Department of Education approved the state's
accountability plan to comply with the No Child Left Behind Act will also
give schools more support in the accountability process, Blair said.

"Information about what's in the plan and what is expected in the next
school year will be available soon," he said.

Paula Pennell: paulap at lcsun-news.com